Friday, August 19, 2011

Fun with herbivory

This blog has been awfully quiet as of late, mostly because I've been insanely busy. I've been back in Nahant for about two weeks now and am working hard to get all the planned research for my algae project done before class starts on the 7th of September and I need to be back in Providence. I've also been helping out with other projects in the lab. But I just got a big experiment up and running, so things will be a little less hectic for a couple of days - mostly simple maintenance and checking up on it.

When I last wrote about the algae project I talked about the big question of "what is it doing here?" We're trying to figure out how the invader is impacting the ecological community. In any introductory ecology class you learn that two of the main interactions between species are consumption (e.g. herbivory, predation) and competition (for space, light, food). My experiment is looking at the first interaction and asking, do the native herbivores in the community eat the invader? How much of it do they eat in comparison to other native algal species? Could this impact growth and survival of the invader relative to other species?

In this case, the herbivore is a tiny little snail, Lacuna vincta, that can occur in relatively high densities on the algae. It is found mostly at shallow subtidal depths, though I have seen it on algae in the low intertidal zone.
Here it is on a ruler. awww.

To see if it has significant preferences for the invader or for the native algae, I put a bunch of Lacuna in a little snail mesocosm (=a food container with holes drilled and mesh glue gunned on) and offer it a choice of the invader, plus five other common algal species. At the same time, I have other snails in other mesocosms that have only one species of alga, so I can compare how much of each species they eat when they have 6 choices vs. no choice over about 3 days.
Multiple-choice mesocosm. There are 6 species in each chamber, and the one on the left has 30 Lacuna snails. The one on the right is a control for any loss/gain of algal mass not due to herbivory.

I have 10 replicates of everything, so 10 x 6 species for single-choice + 10 multiple choice = 70 mesocosms. This means 240 pieces of algae which had to be collected and individually portioned/weighed and 2100 snails which had to be collected and counted. You can see why I've been busy.
Hours and hours of collecting and sorting snails...

Final experimental setup on two seawater tables at the MSC:



No comments:

Post a Comment